Pay-per-click, or PPC, advertising is one of the most effective ways to market yourself on social media and search engines. The main benefit of PPC advertising is that you are targeting an audience that is already searching for your product or service. This audience segments itself through search terms that enable your ad to appear to them, and then they are just a click away from seeing what you have to offer. It takes a tremendous amount of knowledge and skill to develop and implement PPC ads appropriately. Running a PPC campaign can be tricky though. As PPC consultants in the field all the time, we always recommend using the advice and digital marketing services of an expert. However, we want to share with you five mistakes to avoid if you decide to self-manage your PPC campaigns.
- Mistake #1: Failing to regularly monitor your ad campaign. With PPC advertising, you have to constantly manage and monitor your campaigns. Luckily through the several PPC platforms available, you are able to amend and revise your campaigns as they go in order to continually optimize and deliver stronger results. Not only will you be able to see which keywords are performing well, you will also be able to fine-tune your bidding and your overall budget.
- Mistake #2: Failing to check the keyword match. Before going live with your campaign, you have to decide whether or not you require a broad or exact match keyword setting. To be clear, exact match ads will only appear if the exact phrase is typed into search engines. Broad match ads will include synonyms of words and will also include related and relevant searches. Negative keywords should also be considered and employed as well. It all depends on your overall goals.
- Mistake #3: Failing to pay attention to the landing page. You can have an exceptionally optimized ad, with stellar copy and amazing graphics. It can be delivering fantastic click-through rates, but if the landing page or the website that it is clicking through to is not up to par, your results are going to suffer. Without a user friendly and visually appealing website or landing page, you will waste time and money setting up and delivering ads that aren’t bringing you results.
- Mistake #4: Failing to provide good text or design within your ads. Typically you are limited to design specifications and short ad copy, and you just have to make the best of what you have available to you within a PPC platform. Both the ad copy and design are incredibly important, as this is what will encourage the clicks. Include a call-to-action and have different versions of ads running at the same time to see which ones are outperforming others.
- Mistake #5: Failing to measure results. The amount of data available to us via PPC platforms on search engines or social media is very impressive. A variety of analytics are available, such as quality scores, click through rates, and conversion rates. There is no excuse to not track the progress of your advertising campaigns. Take your measurements a step further and link up with your Google Analytics.
As PPC Consultants, we are aware of the mistakes that marketers and small business owners make when self-managing their PPC campaigns. We highly encourage you to work with PPC experts, who have extensive training and knowledge about your industry and all of the necessary PPC advertising platforms to get you noticed. With awareness of the above five mistakes, you’ll be able to avoid them and watch your PPC advertising campaigns thrive.